User Documentation

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 23:52:20 UTC 2005

On 12/22/05, GrAnT GaLbRaiTh <manicka at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>  I've been having a careful look at the UserDocumentation page. mdke has
>  suggested in the past that I discuss any ideas for that page on this
>  list, so here goes.
>
>  The page in itself seems to cluttered and is difficult to navigate. I
>  believe this stems from all the links being set out under the main
>  headings in one big long list.
>
>  I would suggest making a subpage for each of the main headings and
>  moving the relevant links there. This would then unclutter the main page
>  and make navigation easier.

Sounds good. There are already starts on pages like Installation, etc.
What it should list is the most common item that people are looking
for and then the rest can be placed on the subpage. Think how the Open
with... in nautilus works.

>  It would also be a good idea to separate the breezy docs from the hoary
>  docs in some way, perhaps just with simple headings dividing the two in
>  each section.

Sadly this is not easy because most of the pages refer to all versions
of Ubuntu. What I would like to see an easy GUI where each page is in
fact one page for each release, but has a quick link at the top to
each release. Thus RestrictedFormats would have three subpages or
something similar. However, this needs to be done automatically,
because manually hacking this sort of thing would be a disaster.

Corey