Couple of ideas for increasing participation

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 22 10:22:33 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 19:52 -0500, Matt Galvin wrote:
> On 12/18/05, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Andreas Brunner (littlepaul) brought a couple of interesting ideas to
> > encourage more participation in docteam work. Let's see what people
> > think, I think they are both pretty good.
> >
> > 1. Ubuntu-doc-school
> >
> > Drawing on the recent motu-school idea, we could arrange a similar
> > scheme. It would involve a brief presentation on irc introducing the
> > team, what we do, our working methodology etc, anything to help people
> > get involved. We could also take the opportunity of tidying up/improving
> > the wiki pages dealing with this.
>
> While this is a good idea, I personally don't feel there are enough
> "meat and potato's" topics to discuss that warrant something on the
> scale of what the MOTU crew are doing. It may still be worth doing, I
> just don't know how many formal discussion topics there could be. The
> MOTU's have a LOT (relatively) to talk about compared to us. But none
> the less, its still a good idea and worth trying (possibly on a
> smaller scale (i don't know what that is yet)).

I agree, I think the best way to approach this is as a way of involving
people, it would involve a short introduction to how the docteam works,
the projects, and a quick intro to the tools, nothing spectacularly
technical.

> > 2. Newsletter
> >
> > Newsletters are fashionable (motu, desktop team etc) and we could
> > produce something once a month or every now and again in which we
> > introduce new features, and what is going on in the doc world.
>
> Absolutely, +1

Ok, let's start moving with this idea. I'm cc:ing this mail to
fridge-devel who apparently have recently expressed an interest in
collecting a list of cool wiki pages: I suggest we start composing our
first newsletter, and include some top wiki material. I'll draw
something up on a wiki page, in the style of UDN or similar, and we can
all hack at it until it looks awesome. Then it can be posted around the
mailing lists, and on the fridge.

Thoughts?

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com