Server Guide - Windows Networking

Bhuvaneswaran bhuvan at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 6 04:17:26 UTC 2005

> I am going to submit what I have written thus far as a patch for the
> Windows Networking section of the Server Guide.

Applied, thankx!

> There are still a couple parts to be addressed, and so I am seeking
> feedback on those, primarily from the Server Guide leads.

Feedbacks:

* use full path whenever you refer configuration files (ex: smb.conf)
* include commands in seperate para
* use role attribute to emphasis tag
* Refer http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html/docbook.html for details about docbook

Response to your queries:

+              File Permissions define the explicit rights a computer,
or user has to a particular directory, file, or set of files.
****What else to say???****

Here, you can explain about the permissions we must set for samba
paths. For example, if we set 'writable=yes' what should be the
permission for relevant path and things alike.

+ users for your Ubuntu Server... ****talk about smbpasswd

+              and other user account mechanisms here???*****

Here, yes, you can explain smbpasswd with an example.

+              Group Policy ****Discuss MS Group Policy mechanism
here? or which?  Not sure****

Here, you can explain workgroup we use in /etc/samba/smb.conf. You may
also explain its relation with MS work group.

In addition, we'd appreciate if you can explain couple of
/etc/samba/smb.conf parameters. For example, you may explain 'server
setting', 'log file' under global section. You may also explain
'browsable', 'writable', 'public', etc under homes/printers section.

--
Regards,
Bhuvaneswaran