Desktop Guide/Getting Started

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Sat Dec 3 01:33:24 UTC 2005

On 30 Nov, 2005, at 5:30 AM, Robert Stoffers wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 23:04 -0800, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
>>
>> On 11/29/05, Brian Burger <blurdesign at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/desktopguide/C/ch01.html#about-ubuntu
>>>
>>> "Ubuntu is a South African ethic ideology focusing on people's
>>> allegiances and relations with each other."
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28ideology%29
>> Ubuntu (IPA: /ùbúntú/) is a South African ethic or ideology focusing
>> on people's allegiances and relations with each other. The word comes
>> from the Zulu and Xhosa languages. Ubuntu is seen as a traditional
>> African concept.
> This was taken, as was most of the rest of this section from the
> Ubuntu User Guide in our subversion repository. If you have a look at
> both http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28ideology%29 and
> http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/desktopguide/C/ch01.html#about-ubuntu
> they are almost the same (in the about-ubuntu section). Where did it
> come from first, and how do we proceed from here?

Wikipedia was first. Those first sentences of the Wikipedia article
have been almost the same since the article began in July 2003
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?
title=Ubuntu_%28ideology%29&oldid=1221559>.

I'm not a lawyer, but unless that's a small enough chunk to qualify as
fair use, it looks like you're infringing on the copyright of everyone
who contributed to those paragraphs in the Wikipedia article. While
they licensed their contributions under the GFDL, they did not also
agree to the CC BY-SA.

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/