Sec: Unclassified Breezy install guide

Robert Stoffers rstoffers at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 06:08:48 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 15:38 +1000, Wayne wrote:
> My understanding was it wasn't supposed to go into detail. There is
> supposed to be a more detailed install guide that is to supplement this
> which is what the link to the more detailed guide is supposed to link
> to. The only problem is the detailed guide isn't started and September 8
> is approaching fast.
>
> Matt Kirchhoff wrote:
> > Quoting "Stoffers, Robert LAC" <Robert.Stoffers at defence.gov.au>:
> >
> > | I was just taking a look at the install guide and find it rather basic. The
> > | images are good, but for the most part it doesn't explain anything. For
> > | example, it doesn't go into enough depth when partitioning hard drives except
> > | to say "just hit next and don't worry about it" or something along those
> > | lines. This theme is carried out in other parts of the document too.
> > |
> > | I think including this document as is would hinder rather then help new users
> > | install Breezy. Its a good start, but needs a lot of work.
> > |

> > Well, you're right, it doesn't go into any detail, but that was my goal. As the
> > assumptions note, the user is expected to have backed up data and informed that
> > all data will be erased. As a result, there is no need to go into more
> > partitioning detail.
> >
> > Also, I wrote this guide for non-technical friends and co-workers, whose eyes
> > would glaze over if any more detail were presented :) Hence the "don't be
> > intimidated, just continue" approach.
> >
> > Like I said before, if anyone would like to use the images or any of the text
> > and incorporate them into another guide, please do so! Just want to help
> > non-technical users try Ubuntu in all its glory!
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Matt Kirchhoff

Yes, what I'm saying is that this guide is too basic. There also
shouldn't be two different install guides, that would be a duplication
of effort. I think a lot of people will screw up their PCs, particually
the ones who want to dual boot with Windows, because this guide just
tells them not to worry about a lot of important things.

Its a good start, don't get me wrong, but it needs more work before it
becomes an "official released document" in the eyes of Ubuntu users.

Robert Stoffers