How and why to start hacking Ubuntu Help

Matt Galvin matt.t.galvin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 19:41:14 UTC 2005

> There are currently no help pages suitable for that purpose. I have
> started a set. You're welcome to start a competing set, though
> obviously I'd prefer you to join the existing effort. It would be great
> if you agreed to relicense your contributions to the FAQ Guide under
> the GPL, like Matt Galvin just has, so it can be incorporated into
> Ubuntu Help. That would save quite a bit of work.

Whoa, Whoa... This is NOT what you asked me and this is certainly NOT
why I agreed.

You asked me to change licenses so that the documentation could be
used upstream in the apps if the docs where good enough to be included
in some app as a help message or something similar.

I did NOT agree so that you guys could take the work I did and use it
in a fork of the FAQ. And yes it is a fork of the FAQ. Corey started
all this by forking the FAQ by forming LocalHelp or whatever it is
that you guys are now calling it. He himself said he is creating a
FORK, his words. I am not making this up you know. I do NOT support
forking the work we have done. That is also part of why
localhelp(ubuntuhelp or whatever it's called now) is not an official
docteam project.

Don't mistake my agreement of lic changing (in due time (breezy+1))
with an agreement of the forked doc. I do NOT agree with forking the
FAQ as this seems pointless to me.

Matt