Style Guide: Ubuntu nomenclature proposal

Jeff Schering jeffschering at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 06:07:30 UTC 2005

Hi

Well here is what I propose for the use of Ubuntu terms in our docs.
Before making the proposal I did the following: I read up on the
debate between "GNU/Linux" and "Linux"; I reviewed the Ubuntu and
Debian websites; and I read carefully the feedback given on the list
thread "Style Guide: How to Refer to Ubuntu."

Remember, this is just a proposal. If you have any objections, say so
and give a reason for your objection, and if possible, an alternative.
This is going to be an iterative process.

Here it is:
-----------------------------------

1. In titles and headings:

a) Use "Ubuntu Operating System", or "Ubuntu".

b) You can use "Ubuntu Linux Distribution" or "Ubuntu Linux Distro,"
but try to reserve those terms for audiences who do not need to have
"distribution" or "distro" explained to them.

2. In the document body text:

a) Use "Ubuntu Operating System" the first time you refer to Ubuntu,
then use "Ubuntu" thereafter.

b) Use "... based on Debian GNU/Linux..." when referring to Ubuntu's
Debian roots.

c) Use "... Linux-based..." when referring to Ubuntu's kernel roots.

d) You may find that you must use the term "Ubuntu Linux". If so, then
try to work in the phrase "based on Debian GNU/Linux".

e) You can use "Ubuntu Linux Distribution" or "Ubuntu Linux Distro,"
but try to reserve those terms for audiences who do not need to have
"distribution" or "distro" explained to them.

f) If you use any of these terms, (Debian, GNU/Linux, Linux,
distribution, distro) you must explain them in the text following
their first use, as well as in the glossary (if there is a glossary).
The only exception is when the audience of the document is already
knowledgeable about the terms Debian, GNU/Linux, Linux, distribution,
and distro.

3. In the document's "About Ubuntu" section:

a) If there is an About Ubuntu section in your document, then describe
Ubuntu and its genealogy, including GNU/Linux, Debian, and the Linux
kernel.

If you can think of any situations not covered by the above rules, or
if anything needs clarification or could be better written, then let
me know.

Cheers,
Jeff

--