FrontPage

Mary Gardiner mary-sounder at puzzling.org
Wed Apr 20 12:06:03 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005, matthew.east at breathe.com wrote:
> I totally agree that a user should be be asked to discover what Common
> Problems are! That is absurd naturally.The point I'm trying to get at
> is that the choice that we have to make, in determining what choices
> should be offered to a user at a top level (I want to watch a
> video/write an email etc) depends on us determining what frequently
> encountered problems are. I get the feeling that we are not in
> disagreement on this at all. I think this is what you mean when you
> refer to a "writer's point of view".

I think we are in agreement. The anti-FAQ jihad seems to be a movement
to drop the use of the term "FAQ" *and* synonyms like "common problems"
when presenting choices to the user. They're useful categories for *us*
to use in developing choices, they're not useful categories if passed on
unfiltered to the reader.

-Mary