Italian translation for about-ubuntu

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos.perello at canonical.com
Sat Apr 2 12:34:59 UTC 2005

Matthew East wrote:
> Please find attached an Italian translation for the aboutubuntu doc, for
> insertion in svn.
>
> I am slightly concerned about the fact that there are now two methods of
> translation: rosetta and direct in svn, and I don't know what the
> implications of packaging the docs is going to be. So I'm sending this
> mail to both lists, so that it can go into svn and into rosetta if
> necessary. I think that perhaps the two teams can interact to resolve
> this problem.

Rosetta starts to be ready now to translate Ubuntu packages and
documentation. It's still importing previous translations but we hope it
will be all ready soon.

The policy will be that if you want to translate anything for Ubuntu,
you will need to use Rosetta. Only package maintainers should put
translations directly into SVN/ARCH/CVS, translators have two choices:

1.- Use Rosetta directly to translate.
2.- Get .po files from Rosetta, translate them with
emacs/kbabel/gtranslator and upload it back into the system.

Perhaps the documentation policy will change a bit, need to talk about
it with the ubuntu-doc team but take what I said as the general rule for
Ubuntu translations.

> In rosetta, this document corresponds to review-hoary-ubuntu-docs-2 and
> review-hoary-ubuntu-docs-4, and will suffice as Italian, Italian (Italy)
> and Italian (Swiss). It seems I don't have permissions to insert it
> myself.

Those potemplates will be renamed to another good name later. The
automatic import we have is not (yet) so clever at this point.

To be able to upload .po files for Ubuntu in Rosetta you need to be a
member of one of the Ubuntu Translation Team.

Cheers.