Web based solutions

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 09:48:24 UTC 2005

Sean and I had a good discussion regarding a web-based solution. We
agreed on some general points to continue the discussion with the rest
of the docteam.

1. Single source for all docs
Unify wiki and other sources into a single entry point.
help.ubuntu.com was suggested.

2. All docs editable at that source

3. All docs editable in an offline way, as is already happening

4. Allow easy interlanguage links for docs
See what wikipedia does with interwiki links, something similar or better

5. All docs remain in a form of version control

6. System allows easy creation from text to PDF, PS, HTML, etc.

------

Now comes the gritty part, the implementation:

Option 1: Use exisiting solution. Mark has indicated that he would
allow something that checks out in a security manner to be run.
However, some of these solutions involve Java or PHP. The one that
Sean mentioned as solving most of the problems discussed above was
Apache Lenya, which is written in Java.

Option 2: Mark also mentioned that he might be willing to throw some
developers at the problem, if we as a team can come up with a specific
set of goals. The might involve extending the Plone framework to allow
what we need.

Cheers,

Corey