Creating consensus regarding page types in wiki

Ben Edwards funkytwig at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 14:44:04 UTC 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:41:38 +0200, Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 01:15:21PM +0100, Ben Edwards wrote:
>
> > The idea is that when we have goatherd this information we will be
> > better able to make informed decisions. I have seen this technique
> > used very successfully before.
>
> I've read the page and I don't have much to add.
>
> By reading it, I start considering the option of using more than one
> format, like Moin from scrapping down random contents, then if the work
> becomes something consistent we can reStructure it, then it could even
> move into Docbook in an Arch or Subversion repository if it develops
> into a project with a team.

Maybe this is where some of the confusion is.  I see there being the
wiki, which is editable by anyone and vary easy to understand the
markup.  Then there is the 'official/more polished' documentation -
which the documentation team and co-opted others can edit.  The
documentation should defiantly be in ReST - the wiki in something
simple.

I actually think one of the problems is the wiki is TOO integrated -
the distinction between the wiki and main website is practically
non-existent from the point of view of the casual visitor.  I think it
should have a different colour scheme etc. - the old one looked a bit
rough round the edges which was good as this gave the correct vibe.
In broadcast television they usually downgrade the quality of amateur
stuff shot on DV to make it look like it was shot on Hi-8 to get the
correct vibe.

Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Poole, UK, England
WARNING:This email contained partisan views - dont ever accuse me of