wiki Front Page

Alexander Poslavsky alexander.poslavsky at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 03:45:09 UTC 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:26:25 -0500, John Hornbeck
<hornbeck at freeshell.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 18:41 +0100, Louise McCance-Price wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > The website and the wiki have grown together and the wiki faster, as we
> > have had more people being able to contribute.
> > Authentication is completed. We are working on cacheing issues at
> > present on the site.Soon it will be opened up to all.
> >
> > With two areas of content, we must be careful not to duplicate it.
> >
> > to this end:
> >
> > Proposed change to the FrontPage
> >
> > == About Ubuntu Linux ==
> >
> > We can add a link to the About Ubuntu section on the site.
> >
> >  == Teams ==
> >
> > We have an area under the community link -
> > http://www.ubuntulinux.org/community/teams/
> > so we need to move this Teams content from the Zwiki to this location.
> >
> > == Documentation ==
> >
> > We have a Documentation area on the website -
> > http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/
> >
> > so as soon as you are happy with it, we should move content from the
> > wiki - http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/DocumentationArea
> >
> > == Website ==
> >
> > People will soon be able to add what they want to the site....
> >
> > thoughts?
> >
> I think duplication is bad.  We need to have our gardener go through and
> pull weeds :-p  As soon as everything is settled I will start going
> through and making sure things are in the right place also.  I think
> this should go for everyone, we need to make sure the site and wiki are
> solid and contain good info and is easy to navigate.

we should get together as core team, and make a plans so after that we
can seperately get work done. I have quite some questions on the
current layout of the website. It duplicates everything the wiki has,
having two HowTo sections, Tutorial Sections Documentation Sections is
silly. So one should go. So will the wiki be reduced to a drafts
section?
Personaly i do not like that idea at all. I am not worried about us,
as core-doc-team we have or will have editing possibilities also on
the Support part of the site to edit to our hearts content,i suppose,
i just think that a wiki is a much better medium for support-like
docs. If this is not what upstream wants then we will have to change
our thinking, remove 90% of the wiki, move it into support, and make
it clear on the wiki site that this is drafts only.
What I would prefer is doing it the other way around, except for the
basic minimum, installation docs, remove all howto's, tutorials from
the support section and move them to the wiki, and keep all of it a
wiki-style editable format.

what do you guys think?

what does upstream think? Louise?

I do like the layout of the support-section. Whatever section 'wins'
should use that.

greets, AP