Ubuntu book

Ben Edwards funkytwig at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 08:51:47 UTC 2004

One of the best books I have come across was 'Red Hat Linux in small
business' - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764533355.
What was interesting about it was that it ilistrates how business
people and Desktop users want a lot of the same things - they want to
be able to get things working with the minimum amount of fuss.
Basically is was very task based and pragmatic.  Each chapter was on a
different topic - it started from the beginning and went through the
least painful way of getting stuff to work.   It only gave the info
necessary to get things done.  Basically what it cared about was how
to set up a mail server - not how they work.

I think it should be a bit like the for dummies series. How about
'Ubuntu Linux for Humans'';) - actually thinking about it that fits in
with the hole Ubuntu philosophy. Chapters would be task based and
concentrate on using the GUI tools - with 'for dummies' style
illustrations.  Chapters could be:-

1) Installing and setting up Ubuntu
2) Connecting to and Using the Internet
3) Word Processing and DTP
4) Graphics and Drawing
5) Customizing and keeping Ubuntu up to date.

Each chapter would overview the subject and talk about a few of the
possible tools - then concentrate on one and hand hold the user
through its use.

What would be really radical is if it was the size of a paperback.

How about having two books - The first book would cover the basics and
the second the more advanced topics - both the size of paperbacks
-anyway I am starting to ramble on....

Ben