Ubuntu Magazine [Was: On Ubuntu Marketing]

John Hornbeck hornbeck at freeshell.org
Mon Oct 25 13:07:27 UTC 2004

psst, its at the bottom. :-)

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 14:44 +0200, Josh Kress wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 24.10.2004, 23:54 +0100 schrieb John Levin:
>
> <SNIP>
> > > - be more like a combinated computer and lifestyle magazine (like those
> > > fancy dead trees in the Macintosh-(i)world)
> >
> > As an OS X user, I know what you mean. Personally, I find the Mac
> > magazines very disappointing - they're all about buying stuff rather
> > than doing stuff. Even the tutorials they print are often about
> > Photoshop and Word.
> > The other side of it is they show computers being used - to make art,
> > films etc - and not as an end in themselves.
>
> I get the point and totally agree. Maybe I must outline my idea a little
> more specific ;-) It was just mentioned as a part of the marketing
> topic. However, if there is serious interest at this point, I will be
> more specific on Thursday (I'm currently busy translating and will be at
> LinuxWorld Expo in Frankfurt on Wednesday).
>
> I'd also like to know what the documentation team thinks about it.
>
> > >  <snip>
> >
> Thanks
> > > - maybe even a column which presents interesting social projects in
> > > developing countries.
> > >
> > > Note on the last one: I don't want Ubuntu to look like the holy project
> > > in the open source world, however I think this could be a interesting
> > > mixture. Ubuntu emphasizes on humanity with it's name, so this idea
> > > just
> > > takes this a little further.
> >
> > There's a lot of interesting social projects outside the developing
> > world and across the whole world (the kernel itself!). Lots of
> > grassroots things happening everywhere. I see no reason to stick to the
> > 'developing world' -  there's really important things happening in the
> > west, like community wireless, hacklabs, computer recycling projects,
> > etc. And we can all learn from each other, whether we're in the east,
> > West, North or South.
>
> Again I agree, there are a lot of interesting projects around the world
> that aim to bring humanity/mankind a little further (Is this correct
> english?). The 'developing world' was just the first idea that came to
> my mind, when I wondered what topic to cover. A starter!
>

> > > Maybe not, what you expected, but hey: dicussion is open and fortunatly
> > > there can be more than one magazine for different audiences.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Josh
> >
> > PS: I know this is on the sounder list, and entitled On Ubuntu
> > Marketing, but the magazine idea certainly links with the documentation
> > effort, so I'm ccing to ubuntu docs.
>
> Good idea. I'm curious what the doc-team is thinking about this.
>
> > Also, would it be possible to make the magazine a package, so that each
> > issue could be downloaded through synaptic?
>
> Technically it shouldn't be a problem. Let's keep that in mind and
> discuss it as soon as the magazine is alive. Would really be a nice
> option of delivery.

I think a magazine would be cool, but are we talking something like
Debian Weekly News or something different?  I see it as something to
extend to the user and give them something alittle extra.  I personally
know I read DWN everyweek.  If I am off base let me know, I just kinda
glanced through the whole message.

John Hornbeck
http://hornbeck.freeshell.org/blogger