Nutshells, books and FAQs

Alexander Poslavsky alexander.poslavsky at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 11:21:29 UTC 2004

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:53:06 +0200, Sivan Green <sivan at piware.de> wrote:
> Hmm, I guess not much people did see this post, so here it is again -
> You're comments are desried!

Ok, my comments:

I agree we have a lack of focus lately and we need to do something about it.

I do not agree with ditching or rewriting the docbook-faq. It works,
it is reasonably up-to-date and it was a lot of work. Redoing it is a
waste of time. I think we should export it to html and move it to the
support area. We need one person who will be responsible for moving
stuff to the support area, and see if not too many links go missing.
The page: https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions
should be emptied of items already in the docbook-faq and it should
have a headers:
* The following questions need to be added to the faq:
    * blablabla etc
* The following items need to be changed in the faq:
   * 1.1 blablabla etc

In this way we have something we can put in yelp, we might even make a
package already, and we have a base to work from.

I think we should alwys have a faq, it is more accassible then a
document. (OpenBSD only has a faq, go figure)

I agree with a need for new plans, what do we want to do? I agree with
the overall sentiments:
1 Ubuntu Handbook/User's Guide
2 Fix and improve the already shipping docs
   2.1 man-pages
   2.2 Gnome manual

We have a reasonable base now in the wiki. We should work from there,
not start from scratch,imho.

I am willing to do 2.1 if somebody can show me how to go about it,
where and how does one edit man-pages. After that I can go over the
man-pages fairly quickly I think. I hope man-pages are in docbook
format so we can put it in svn.

Sivang has been working on 2.2, what is the current status of that?
Who will finish it? It is not that much work, just a bunch of
screenshots and some rewrites and add Ubuntu 100 times :-)

Point 1 is the most difficult one. I think the hornbeck-outline (to
give it a name), is quite good, what if we try to rip as much as we
can from the wiki, dump it in docbook, and publish it to support-area?
and basically do the same as for the faq? Then we can see what is
missing and what we need to rewrite. I would prefer this over rewrite
from scratch.

great to be on the team, AP