Documentation Acceptance Process Proposal

John Hornbeck hornbeck at freeshell.org
Tue Nov 16 14:06:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 16:00 +0200, Alexander Poslavsky wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:24:15 +0200, Sivan Green <sivan at piware.de> wrote:
> >
> >   The need for setting up some sort of doc team work scheme for
> > accepting new wiki / offline docs has been felt for ages, so now let us
>
> agreed
>
> > Preliminaries for establishing a work accaptance process:
> >
> >      *  Setting up a wiki page  for people to link to their newly
> > submitted WikiPage / Document. We should device a format for submission
> > which would allow          us to contact the person who contributed, the
>
> Contacting people who write docs would be nice, is it possible in
> zwiki to see who made a page?
>
> >          Tis can be  devided to :
> >                        + FAQs
> >                        + Howtos
> >                        + Medium size pages / docs (tutorials)
> >                        + Large documents (guides)
> >
> >     * Establish the documentation testing team:
> >           * Have a list of people who would be willing to test drive new
> > docs , comment and be commited to do it :)
> >           * Have a list of people from core team who would be willing to
> > also review, fix and test. (one or two).
>
> This we really need, how could we get a group of good people and who
> would take care of the documentation-flow?
>

> >     * Make sure our svn server is on and capable, to allow for
> > submission of offline oriented or non wiki material for review and work.
>
> This seems to be getting better. We need a wiki page that  explains
> how a person could get docs, etc. We already have a write-up but I
> doubt many people will be able to find it (move it to support)
>
> >  From the contributing person point of view, we should have maybe modify
> > DocumentHowto to include some staged instructions for submitting:
> > (this is a first proposed draft):
>
> Good idea
>
> >   Okay, You've just completed your amazing howto, document or a carfully
> > crafted world domination plan and want to have it public?  What to do
> > next you might ask? Follow this to make you stuff matter:
> >
> >     * Go to the /SubmittedPendingDocs wiki page, link your new page from
> > there. If you made an HTML/DocBook or other format doc - then put it on
> > the web somwehre, or upload it to the wiki so we can view it.
> >    * Post the mailing list with "subject: [PEND_REVIEW] <link to your
> > new doc>".
> >    * be ready for some comments and discussion ;)
>
> What we might do is moving stuff out of the wiki faster, so that the
> wiki is mostly empty, but then, how do people update pages?
> Or should we have duplicate pages, one in the wiki and one in support?
I think moving it out of the wiki to the site is a good idea.  Than it
would be easier to find.  Duplicate pages could work, but than we get a
problem like on the old wiki with the faq where no one is updateing the
real faq on the page.  I don't know how to handle this except have a
couple people who's soul job is to make sure to keep the site updated
from the wiki, does that sound good?

> These are just some thoughts I had, i agree with the overall idea, i
> just do not yet see how we could make it work without (again) slowing
> down contributors
>
> nice write-up sivang, greets AP
Yes it was a very nice write-up.
John