Request for peer review of the new FAQ by WW.

Sivan Green sivan at piware.de
Sat Nov 6 22:46:55 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 17:25 -0500, Alexander Poslavsky wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 21:43:09 +0200, Sivan Green <sivan at piware.de> wrote:
> > Hey dear list,
> >
> >  After seeing the good work  Warren Weckesser done on a new FAQ page ,
> > that can be seen at http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/NewFAQTest I would
> > like to propose to the team that we move out all the FAQ items from the
> > wiki, empty them down and leave them only for new requests, putting
> > everything on the main official FAQ page, which seems currently as a
> > random collection of pages lacking (IMHO) the usability for a new user
> > seeking help or documentation
> >
> > A glance at
> > http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/faq/faqfolder_view/
> > might give an idea of the trouble a new user might confront when seeking
> > help.
>
> Speaking of the FAQ, we have been studying the use of docbook etc,
> things are moving ahead nicely, see:
> https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/DocBook etc
>
> Now we have a question, we could put the FAQ in docbook, both in the
> support-pages and for use in yelp, is this needed? Will the faq be
> incorperated in yelp for off-line reading?

I would like very much to have all of the "stable" quality material that
already resides under support section in the website available under
yelp.

> If yes, then it should be self-contained, no too many  links to other
> (wiki-)pages. The answers to the questions should be completely in the
> FAQ. If other docs are needed then they should also be in yelp.

So work should be taken in this direction to make sure it's yelpable :)

> What is your opinion? Will the faq be used for off-line reading? Will
> we put it in yelp? Together with other Ubuntu related docs?
As I said before, I wish all of the stable documentation could be easily
access using yelp. this would be a blast :)

Sivan