Japanese input on Ubuntu

Alexander Poslavsky alexander.poslavsky at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 14:59:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 09:26:09 -0500, Noah John Gellner
<noah.gellner at utoronto.ca> wrote:
> Hi Alexander,
> Can you send me the URL? I would be happy to have a look.
> Sincerely,
> Noah
>

> On 08:21 Fri 29 Oct     , Alexander Poslavsky wrote:
> > Hi Noah!
> >
> > On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:28:34 -0400, Noah John Gellner
> > <noah.gellner at utoronto.ca> wrote:
> > > Alexander,
> > > I liked your tutorial on Japanese input. I have one comment. My .gnomerc
> > > looks like this:
> > > LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8 uim-xim &
> > > export GTK_IM_MODULE=uim-anthy
> > > export XMODIFIERS=@im=uim-anthy
> > > #export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
> > > export LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
> > > export LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
> > > export LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
> > > export LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
> > > export LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
> > > export LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
> > > export LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
> > > export LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
> > > export LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
> > > export LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
> > > export LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
> > > export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8
> > >
> > > The benefit of this is that non-gtk apps work with uim without resorting
> > > to funky command line trickery. The only strange behavior is that the
> > > default terminal font gets changed. I expect that this can be fixed
> > > in .gtkrc, but I haven't bothered. Instead I overrode the default font
> > > to bitstream mono vera and it looks fine. As you can see, I tried to set
> > > LC_ALL and then overwrite only LC_CTYPE at first but strangely this
> > > doesn't work, LC_ALL trumps LC_CTYPE.
> > > Cheers,
> > > Noah
> > >

> > thanks for you input, I added it (finally) could you check it if it's
> > ok (I do not use Japanese myself),
> >
> > greetings, AP

It is on the new wiki, so if you made a password last time you have to
do it again (we won't make a habit out of it I promise).

This is the link:
https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/JapaneseInputHowto

and thanks for your time,

greetings, Alexander Poslavsky Ubuntu Documentation Team