WiFi Howto updated.

Ben Edwards funkytwig at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 11:13:07 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:48:37 +0800, Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 10:08:57PM +0000, Ben Edwards wrote:
>
> > As I have managed to get WiFi working on my laptop I have updated the
> > hoto at http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/WiFiHowto with what I know.  I
> > still cant get WEP to work so havent included mutch about security.
> > could somone pleae preef/buetify/spell check it.
>
> I did some spell checking and minor improvements.

Thanks a lot.

> I think the document still needs some improving; one major problem to me
> is that it it tells twice to disable all other network interfaces, one
> time using a GUI application and one time using the commandline.

What I was actualy trying to do is get the user to try the GUI tool
and if not try the command line.  When I set up my card if was not
until I tried using the command line (initialy) before I actualy got
it working - maybe I need to make it clearer.

> I also added some links to existing background resources online, as I
> felt that referring to the AP manual could not be enough.

I wanted to add some iditional links but dod not have time to add
them.  However I do feel it is VERY important for the user be
encoraged to read the router manual - if they have not set up there
router corectly they will not be able to get there card working and
the easiers way to get the router working is to refer to the router
manual.  Maybe saying something like 'obbviously you must have your
router working before you atempt to set up your card....refur to
manual.....good intro to wifi is.....'.

Ben
--
Ben Edwards - Poole, UK, England
WARNING:This email contained partisan views - dont ever accuse me of