Users guide vs Quickguide

John Hornbeck hornbeck at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 15:14:44 UTC 2004

Christoph Haas wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 03:37:07PM +0100, Corey Burger wrote:
>

>>Well the rationale is that a new users needs to know how to do things,
>>not how to use programs. Thus a new user says "I need to know how to
>>view an image" not "I need to know how to use file-roller".
>>

>I completely agree with you. But please tell me what's wrong with the
>"Users Guide" that intends to just do that? I understand your proposal
>as "Swap the titles of document A with that of document B".
>
>Again: we have a task-based and a program-based documentation.
>You ask for a task-based documentation. We are currently writing the
>Users Guide which *is* a task-based documentation. What's wrong with
>that task-based documentation?
>
>We are halting work again although we have just what you propose. And of
>course it does not make sense to start working on something that will
>get dumped after the discussion. I really don't feel motivated to start
>on something we are discussing for all eternity. We have already had so
>many delays in our work. And John (correctly IMHO) complains that hardly
>anything happens to the Users Guide.
>
>Sorry if I may sound bitchy... but someone please decide what we will be
>working on. And even if we swap titles (again) I'll be happy to accept
>that. There are so many postings that sound like "that could be nice".
>But nothing *is* nice.
>
> Christoph

I agree with you completly Chris, I am sick and tired of the bitching
and moaning on this list.  We are not working, we are just compaining
about who wants to do what which way.  As of right now I have not really
written anything in the past week, because I started the other day only
to read that it was not what we are going for.  I am totally confused,
and have no idea what we are doing, and at this rate we will get nothing
done.  When we started we had do guide but we got alot done in a short
amount of time.  Now that we are "Doc Team" we have not really gotten
anything done.  I will leave this up to everyone and I will work on
things I want to work on, after the bitching has stopped I will work on
what ever guide we are working on.  Till than I will just be writing my
own things.  Hope you guys work it out because frankly I don't care, I
just want to help make Ubuntu better, I don't care about the politics.

John

Sorry for the rant