ubuntu: branches lacking history with upstream branches

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Thu Sep 22 09:08:41 UTC 2011

pitti mentioned to me today the issue of ubuntu-namespace branches
that ought to be related to an upstream bzr branch, but that actually
aren't.

lp:indicator-power is one example, and the desktop team actually
maintain an unofficial packaging branch that does share history:
lp:~ubuntu-desktop/indicator-power/ubuntu

It seems clear it will save confusion to fix this up.  Making the
branch correct for people actively working on it is probably the most
important thing.

 * I think in general we just rebind the branch alias to the branch
that should be official?  I guess we need a losa to do that?
 * The package importer might need to be told to reset those branches.
 * Perhaps we should document when/how we do this.
 * Perhaps we can get something closer to self service for people who
do hit it, or systematically prevent it in the importer?

Martin