patches

Jelmer Vernooij vernooi1 at xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 25 15:32:19 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 16:28 +0100, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> Writing the packaging guide chapter on patching highlighted for me
> that patches don't always work well with UDD.
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-packaging-guide-team/ubuntu-packaging-guide/trunk/view/head:/patches-to-packages.rst

I keep all patches unapplied for packages I maintain in Debian. This
works best for the bzr-builddeb commands and doesn't cause spurious
changes to e.g. the .pc directory.

> (line 90) What are people's favourite tactics for the .pc directory when adding
> a new patch?  I recommeded just bzr add .pc/* but Barry says he will
> revert changes.
>
> (line 103) Upgrading to New Upstream Versions is ugly with patches
> (and that means most packages), you have to unapply all the patches,
> commit with them unapplied then do the upgrade.  I think it would be
> nicer if bzr merge-upstream did the unapply for you and if it didn't
> need a commit. I filed https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-builddeb/+bug/815854
This seems to be a simpler instance of the problem of merging two
branches with quilt patches (the OTHER branches simply doesn't have any
patches in this case).

Cheers,

Jelmer