Package branch freshness

Barry Warsaw barry at canonical.com
Tue Jul 19 14:06:33 UTC 2011

On Jul 19, 2011, at 09:55 AM, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

>I think there are different users for this, and I definitely want to
>support the "Barry" user. I don't know that we want it to be the
>default, though, because not everyone is nearly as awesome as you. At
>least, not nearly as comfortable thinking about what the packaging
>branch is, and what up-to-date means, etc.

Sounds like providing one knob to turn up or down the verbosity will work
well.  Totally cool to have that knob turned up to max verbosity by default of
course.

>> I thought about not even printing a status report in case 1 for less
>> verbose output, but I think it's still useful to print the version number
>> and status in that case.  I suppose a "quiet" option would only print a
>> warning when the published version isn't available.
>
>I felt that especially with the transition, you'd really want feedback
>having bzr tell you "yes, I really did check, this is up to date."

Yep, good point.

>> I noticed a *very* slight additional delay for `bzr branch` but I can
>> certainly live with it for the additional information!
>
>I think there are a couple of factors:
>
>1) You're on a pretty impressive link. For me, the bzr+ssh handshake
>takes about 2.8s. (time echo hello | ssh bazaar....) So adding even 1s
>to that isn't terrible.

Averages out to about 1.3s for me.

>2) debian was *much* slower than Ubuntu branches. This is because
>apparently Launchpad doesn't track "Published" for debian. So when
>making an api request for "ubuntu/bzr" we can ask for what the single
>most recent Published state is. For Debian we have to ask for the
>Pending list. Now, we limit the list to 1 entry, and Launchpad sorts in
>newest-first. However, I imagine at the app/DB level, Launchpad has to
>read in all the rows and sort them.
>
>3) The API request is a lot slower today than when I was testing it
>during development. I don't have any idea why that would be. But pulling
>out the setup code into:

Interesting.

>Great. I think it would certainly be reasonable to have a knob that
>issues short form for people who know what everything means and what it
>to be as easy to parse as possible.

+1, and thanks!

Something else I've been wanting to do, but which probably isn't within
bzr/udd mission.  I want an uber-rmadison which tells me all the versions of a
package in both Ubuntu and Debian, *and* in the packaging branches, without
having to download anything.  Yeah, I should just go write the thing.

- -Barry