The append-revisions-only can of worms

Max Bowsher _ at maxb.eu
Mon Jul 18 23:06:33 UTC 2011

On 18/07/11 21:24, James Westby wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 11:17:33 +0100, Max Bowsher <_ at maxb.eu> wrote:
>> I've tracked down a cause of some of the AppendRevisionsOnlyViolation
>> failures.
>>
>> When a package is uploaded to Debian and synced to Ubuntu, there's a
>> race condition between Launchpad's Debian metadata importer and the UDD
>> package importer.
>>
>> If the UDD package importer tries to import the package in the window
>> when Launchpad knows of the Ubuntu publication but not of the Debian
>> publication, then the new package version gets imported first into the
>> Ubuntu branch.
>>
>> Later, when the Debian publication becomes visible, Launchpad sees that
>> this particular (package,version) has already been imported.... and
>> tries to pull the Ubuntu branch into the Debian sid branch.
>>
>> And of course, if the package has *ever* had an Ubuntu specific upload,
>> that's an AppendRevisionsOnlyViolation.
>>
>> So we've actually found a bug here :-(
>
> Yeah, I think the logic should be to do a merge taking all the content
> from Ubuntu, with the parents being (debian, ubuntu)?

Well... The logic *should* be to have imported into the Debian branch
first and then merged into the Ubuntu branch, such that this situation
never arises.

Perhaps we should investigate whether Launchpad's Debian importer could
run more frequently, or if the UDD importer could query Debian and defer
Ubuntu imports that appear to be syncs of not-yet-known Debian versions?

Max.