packaging guide

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 14 16:26:25 UTC 2011

I've been looking over the packaging guide for what needs done to it and issues with UDD it reveals.

Here's my first merge proposal of various small improvements
https://code.launchpad.net/~jr/ubuntu-packaging-guide/fixes/+merge/67951

Bugs I found..

810564  merge-upstream fails if top directory includes version number
810531  merge-upstream will repack .bz2 when using source format 3.0
810540 	merge-upstream fails on packages created with bzr dh-make
641418 	Better error message if dh-make is not installed

After discussions with Daniel and others it seems the plan is the
packaging guide should focus on UDD
 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-packaging-guide/+bug/792381

The guide will need to be honest about the state of UDD.

I think some UDD parts of the knowledge base can be turned into
informative articles on e.g. creating a new package

Bugs I filed on the guide..

810471 	    intro to packaging with UDD
810453 	    add back information about maintainer field
810467 	    add guide to patching with Quilt
810476 	    intro to compile environments

Jonathan