Bazaar Package Importer stomps on my changes

Max Bowsher maxb at f2s.com
Mon Jan 31 23:11:40 UTC 2011

On 31/01/11 16:01, Scott Moser wrote:
> I assume that I am either
> a.) misinformed
> b.) doing something wrong.
>
> Now to my question/problem.
>
> I was under the impression that it was an acceptable (and even commonly
> used package development model) to do something like:
>
> $ bzr init-repo cloud-init
> $ cd cloud-init
> $ bzr branch lp:ubuntu/natty/cloud-init natty.dist
> $ bzr branch natty.dist natty
> $ cd natty
> # hack and add something
> # dch -i, use 'UNRELEASED'
> # debcommit
> # hack and add something, use dch -i,
> # ...
> $ dch --release
> $ debcommit -r
> $ bzr bd -S
> $ dput ../*.changes
> $ bzr push lp:ubuntu/natty/cloud-init
>
> Maybe I'm  misinformed, and something I'm doing above is wrong or
> completely misguided.
>
> However, I happily push my changes, upload the source package, and then
> repeat the above process.
>
> The next time I go to do it, I'm informed on bzr push (or bzr pull) that I
> have missing revisions.
>
> I'll be missing something like:
>   revno: 61
>   fixes bug(s): https://launchpad.net/bugs/635188
>   author: Scott Moser <smoser at ubuntu.com>
>   committer: Bazaar Package Importer <james.westby at ubuntu.com>
>   branch nick: natty
>   timestamp: Thu 2011-01-27 11:32:44 -0500
>

> So it appears to me that Mr or Ms "Bazaar Package Importer" is rudely
> stomping on my changes.
>
> Am I just doing something wrong ?

My wild guess is that you are being thwarted by the Bazaar Package
Importer's thoroughly unhelpful idea of how to represent a 3.0 (quilt)
source package in Bazaar - namely, that it commits the .pc directory and
all its contents.

Thus, when you did your previous push, the importer came along and
decided what you pushed didn't match the uploaded package.

It responded by pushing your branch aside to
lp:~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/natty/cloud-init/natty-201101272214 and
putting its own in its place.

Now, you've come along and push --overwritten its changes, and... it's
sulking:

http://package-import.ubuntu.com/status/cloud-init.html

:-)

So it seems to me that the root of all this is that the package
importer's representation of a 3.0 (quilt) package in Bazaar just
doesn't make sense.

Having the .pc metadata committed into the branch makes making any sorts
of changes quite unfriendly.

Max.