Moving udd to django

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Wed Dec 14 18:12:39 UTC 2011

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 09:38:53 +0100, Vincent Ladeuil <vila+udd at canonical.com> wrote:
>     > it will be less risky to deploy changes gradually,
>
> Only if we have tested these changes before deployment which we can't do
> for now (don't take my word for it, just look at the lp:udd
> history). Even my recent changes in this regard gave us the ability to
> *manually* test locally (and there, look at revno 555 history for cases
> I had to fix on top of our actual test suite).

Why not set up a staging instance of udd to test changes before they are
deployed to production?

>     > and we are better off not forking if we can avoid it.  Eventually
>     > we can split it into separate services/components.
>
> I'm all in favor of splitting, I'm advocating the less risky (and as
> such the cheapest) way to get there.

The way I see it the same code is going to be changing either way, and
it can either do so incrementally, or in one big jump.

If everything goes well then one big jump is less work, but if things
break, and you are saying that they are very likely to, then it's easier
to deal with that incrementally, where you have fewer things to reason
about.

Thanks,

James