Terminating the append_revisions_only experiment, for now

vila v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Tue Aug 23 07:41:24 UTC 2011

    > We currently have 97 packages failing with AppendRevisionsOnlyViolation
    > - that's around a sixth of all failures.

    > I think we should roll back the change to the importer to set
    > append_revisions_only on UDD branches, and make the importer clear the
    > flag when doing its own pushes to Launchpad.

Very close to my own thoughts, thanks for bringing this up.

    > It feels clear to me that what seemed like an obvious win at the
    > time of introduction has revealed lots of interesting and
    > unexpected edge cases.

This is also very close to my feelings and I like to add that we should
*really* write tests to capture them and make sure we don't regress
again in the future.

Overall, I feel we have far too much failures when landing *good* stuff
*because* we lack a proper way to test. It's a long known issue that we
miss a launchpad test server but *not* having tests to guard against
regressions is clearly a path we don't want to pursue as demonstrated
here (IMNSHO).

Whether we address that by using staging or any sort of local launchpad
test server is open to discussion but the sooner we start this
discussion the better.

    > I think we can serve UDD best by getting these imports working
    > again how they were before, since time has shown that we don't
    > have a quick fix compatible with retaining the
    > append_revisions_only behaviour.

+1 (twice)

   Vincent