UDD health check?

Elliot Murphy elliot at canonical.com
Tue Jul 13 20:26:39 BST 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at canonical.com> wrote:
> As an example: I'm trying to get two of my spinoff Python packages into
> Ubuntu, via Debian.  They are packaged in neither atm.  I'm the upstream
> maintainer and the projects are hosted on Launchpad, so it starts off easy
> enough by creating a branch of trunk, and loomifying the work branch.  I
> create a thread for Debian development, use stdeb to create the initial
> debian/ directory, then create a thread for Ubuntu.  This latter is what I
> build the source package for the PPA from.
>
> This is a nice arrangement because as I modify the trunk (and make non-Debuntu
> releases), I can pull the trunk into the bottom thread, up-thread --auto and
> be ready to spin a new PPA (yes, I know, I haven't yet started to use
> build-from-branch).
>
> The debian thread is less useful though, because what the DPMT wants is *just*
> the debian/ directory in their svn, and that workflow is completely
> different.  The last update I made, I resorted to rsync'ing the debian
> directory to an svn checkout from alioth.  Not fun.

This is fascinating to me. I still can't quite grok the reason for
using bzr at all in this case, and I'd be interested in understanding
what it gives you. I don't understand how you are able to work from a
bzr branch when packages want orig tarballs. I have been working
exclusively from tarballs that I upload to launchpad/pypi, then
copy/paste/edit a debian/ directory with a watch file, build the
initial source package, and svn-inject it. Then I sync to ubuntu and
would use UDD if I needed to do an Ubuntu specific patch only after
the importer set up all the branches.

--
Elliot Murphy | https://launchpad.net/~statik/