New overview page for the Bazaar importer

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Jan 14 22:58:29 GMT 2010

James Westby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After a few days spent doing some infrastructure work I'm now about to
> present a more coherent interface to the current status of the bzr
> importer. You can find it at
>
>   http://package-import.ubuntu.com/failures/.bzr/failures/index.html
>
> (Sorry for the odd URL)
>
> This is not intended to be a page like MoM's, but an internal page, and
> one that will become less and less important as we iron out the kinks.

So ignoring the 'latest 100' failures, the top 2 failures are:
182 packages failed with key
AssertionError:<module>:main:find_unimported_versions

Which when poking at one looks like:
  AssertionError: abiword 1.0.2+cvs.2002.06.05-1woody2 debian woody is
marked but not imported

Poking around I see debian woody, debian sid, ubuntu warty as failing on
those. This certainly sounds like just bad configuration.

Number 2 is
89 packages failed with key
AssertionError:<module>:main:import_package:import_package:extract

And all the ones I poked at were:
  File
"/srv/package-import.canonical.com/new/scripts/plugins/builddeb/import_dsc.py",
line 1802, in extract
    "Can't handle non gz tarballs yet"
AssertionError: Can't handle non gz tarballs yet

The next 3 failures (34 + 34 + 32 = 100, so it should be #2?), are all
UnicodeDecodeError.
The first set are all 'author.decode', the next is path issues (probably
non-ascii paths in the dataset). The next three are all
"find_extra_authors" which is breaking down at "change.decode('UTF-8')".

Next is 21 diverged branches...

Next is 16 different serializations (need to be upgraded?) ...

And then a fairly long tail.

All of this doesn't really look like stuff to do on the bzr side.
Decoding the changelogs is something to investigate, supporting non .gz
tarballs, and figuring out what to do when something wants to import a
distro version that is "marked but not imported" (which I don't claim to
understand).

John
=:->