hottest100 (was Re: Bazaar focus for 2.1 and 2.2)

Andrew Bennetts andrew.bennetts at canonical.com
Thu Jan 14 07:07:52 GMT 2010

Andrew SB wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 2:33 AM, Martin Pool <mbp at canonical.com> wrote:
> > To be useful, this query needs some measurement of whether the branch is fresh.
>
> This is especially true for GNOME products. A number of branches
> currently marked as working are still pointed at old svn repos while
> the projects have moved to git. The imports don't fail as the svn
> repos have been kept around, but lp:gnome-foo will be nearly a year
> behind the actual upstream.
[...]
> I'd be happy to go through and check all the GNOME projects in the
> "hottest100." But as I don't have the powers to actually change them,
> I don't know how to make it discoverable for someone who does. A
> message to this list? A question on LP? Would this be a good use of my
> time, or is someone already going to manually look through each of
> these branches as part of this project?

Thanks for pointing this out.

I do have powers to do this, so I've done part of this.  I've gone
through all the gnome-* projects on the +upstreamreport plus a bunch of
others that are listed on <https://launchpad.net/gnome>, and checked to
see if they have a current import, and created one if it's missing.

I haven't updated the dev focus if the project already had one set,
because I'm not sure if that would break something for someone.  My
guess is it won't break anything, can someone confirm?

Here are my notes of what I did/saw:

Already imported and set as dev focus (no change needed):

gnome-settings-daemon
gnome-system-tools

Created git imports for:
------------------------

at-spi: ~vcs-imports/at-spi/trunk
bug-buddy: .../git-trunk
ekiga: .../git-trunk
eog: .../trunk
file-roller: .../trunk
gconf: .../trunk
gconf-editor: .../trunk
gnome-applets: .../trunk
gnome-bluetooth: .../trunk  [and set as dev focus]
gnome-common: .../trunk
gnome-cups-manager: .../trunk
gnome-desktop: .../trunk
gnome-games: .../trunk
gnome-media: .../trunk
gnome-terminal: .../trunk
gnome-utils: .../trunk
gnome-system-monitor: .../trunk
gnome-screensaver: .../git-trunk

Import already exists but is not dev focus:

accerciser: ~vcs-imports/accerciser/main
gedit: ~jjardon/gedit/trunk
gedit-plugins: [now set]
glib: ~jjardon/glib/trunk
gnome-panel: ~vcs-imports/gnome-panel/master

Import exists but fails (even after retry):

gnome-control-center
gnome-power-manager

Any project not listed I didn't look at.  As you can see there are now
many branches on this list that aren't set as the development focus that
probably should be.  There are also lots of ~gnome-bzr-mirror branches
that should probably just be deleted, at least the “remote” ones.

-Andrew.