fastimport and the scope of the hottest 100 effort

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Mon Jan 11 08:53:17 GMT 2010

James raised the question recently about whether some of the packages in
the hottest 100 ought to excluded or not, e.g. pidgin's upstream is in
monotone and we don't have a bzr-monotone plugin.

My answer is yes, we'll need to exclude some things. The import
breakdown analysis I did last Friday showed some packages don't have
publicly available source code, e.g. the HP printer drivers and various
X drivers.

In terms of strategy, I think we should focus on getting as many imports
 in the top 100 as possible working via bzr-svn, bzr-git and bzr-hg. We
should also take a moment to confirm imports of these packages are into
2a branches, *not* earlier or development formats.

Looking at the top 10 packages on
https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+upstreamreport, *I* can certainly see
value in also supporting fastimport if my current assumptions wrt
bzr-svn/git/hg are correct. The top 10 packages include:

* the kernel - in git, huge and (iiuic) not supported by bzr-git
* firefox - in hg and very popular
* open office - in hg (now) and huge in size
* pidgen - in monotone.

For each of these, fastimport may be the best option, given
fastimport-generated branches are often much smaller than those created
via Jelmer's plugins.

In summary, we need to dig a deeper *after* getting all the low hanging
fruit imported but I don't feel we ought ot completely rule out using
fastimport for of the above.

Ian C.