Recipes vs. Looms vs. pipelines

Aaron Bentley aaron at canonical.com
Mon Jan 4 17:09:27 GMT 2010

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but reconfigure-pipeline is actually pretty close to
> what I want, I think.  'bzr reconfigure-pipeline' will create a ./pipes
> directory in the current working tree, and all new pipes will go there.  If
> this was named .bzr/pipes instead I think that would be perfect.

That is right.  If you find any problems with this, please report them
as bugs.

> I did a quick and dirty hack which seems to DTRT.

I saw that, and I'm 95% certain I'll land it as-is.  It's possible I'll
add an option to restore the previous behaviour.  My original motivation
 for using a location outside the .bzr was to avoid too much "magic".  I
was on a "pipes are just branches" kick.

I should mention that, as a launchpad developer, you probably have a
bunch of configuration in ~/.bazaar/locations.conf that uses the
"appendpath" configuration policy to set your public, submit, pull and
push locations.  Have a look with "bzr info" to see if any of those
locations have gone haywire.

(https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-pipeline/+bug/416962 is related to the
appendpath issue.)

> Hacking reconfigure to set up .bzr/pipes when run in a lightweight checkout
> might be a good idea too, but I don't think I'll tackle that one.

I think that most of the time, if there's a lightweight checkout, the
user has already decided to put their branches somewhere else.  So I
think there may not be any demand for this.

Aaron