hottest100 (was Re: Bazaar focus for 2.1 and 2.2)

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Feb 3 16:40:12 GMT 2010

We had a big push on hottest100 last week, and it was good.  A fairly
recent copy of the hottest100 results are below.

To summarize where we got to: most of the upstream branches are now
working; there are a few not correctly registered but that could
probably be fairly easily fixed.  In package branches a bit over half
of the ones we sampled are working, and there are specific bugs for
the failures.

Jelmer set up to run the check-hottest.py script across everything in
Ubuntu main; it shows things much less complete there, mostly in terms
of making upstream links.

We could go through and get them all to pass but that seems like it
would be kind of missing the point: we want to get people motivated to
be using this and for the tool to make that easy.  The point of doing
hottest100 is to shake out any problems and get some measurement of
what's going wrong.  I see people are now registering imports and
apparently using them.

So where do we go from here?

Specific actions from here at least for the Canonical Bazaar people are:

 * help james_w with some of the bugs opened against the package
importer (assuming he wants it)
 * talk to the Launchpad developers (through bugs or otherwise) about
making the story of adding a new import, package-product link, etc
easier
 * keep running this script at intervals so that we can track what
kind of snags things seem to hit
 * work on udd-related bugs like the issues raised here before, and
the more general stuff about getting multiple branches or UDD-like
merge scenarios

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>