Bugs for daily build packages

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Fri Nov 27 05:27:17 GMT 2009

On Thu Nov 26 23:31:05 -0500 2009 Jordan Mantha wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 6:05 PM, James Westby <jw+debian at jameswestby.net> wrote:
> <snip>
> > The aim is to have lots of people testing the latest code, let's enable
> > them to report issues with it easily, otherwise we run the risk of it being
> > a big waste of time.
>
> Would it be at all feasible to be able to report bug against specific
> PPA package uploads? In my ideal world a person would report a bug
> against my PPA package and I could either 1) fix it if it's my fault
> 2) link against the Ubuntu package if the issue is more general 3)
> link to and upstream bug report.

This would mean making PPAs a bug target. Someone from LP could speak
about whether this is in their plans.

> Can we currently link a bzr branch to
> a PPA upload? It would be ultimately nice to be able to link all the
> way from bug report to code fix to .deb .

https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad-code/+bug/395200

All the links are not there yet. I think that as we get building a PPA
package from a branch this will become possible.

> My sense here is that making changes to Launchpad is much more
> difficult that having outside tools as workarounds.

That may well be true. Do you have a suggestion for an outside tool
that would provide a workaround? I made the proposal I did partly
as I could not see a way without at least some LP changes.

> Your strawman
> looks reasonable except I don't see where there is a distinction
> between PPA and normal archive uploads. How is the PPA maintainer
> supposed to find bugs filed against their packages? Isn't this just
> shoving bugs against a PPA to people (either Ubuntu or upstream) who
> are not the primary responsible parties?

There is an assumption that the link would be to a place that was
happy to receive the bugs. If there was no link then we would still
refuse to file them.

Thanks,

James