Things to graph for package-of-the-day work

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Nov 17 22:20:43 GMT 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 10:49 -0500, Curtis Hovey wrote:

> I have not found any documentation. I have been reading the code, the
> bug reports, and trying the UI to understand what it does. I have fixed
> many bugs that make the action easier to perform and prevents insane
> data.
>
> I have been asking the similar questions as you. Package links do not
> create notifications when upstream creates a release. The imported
> releases may fix bugs that Ubuntu cares about, but there is no automatic
> way to state that 10 fixed bug upstream are some other 10 bugs in
> launchpad.
>
> I think packaging links (as they are implemented) are documentation
> about the past. They are not a tool that helps contributors to know when
> to create a package and where to get the code.

The intent was to like 'upstream product release finder' through the
packaging links to packages, to show a link / notification on the
package side when upstreams make a release. The recently added downloads
facilities can naturally do the same. In the fullness of time the
further planned step was to allow merging via bzr.

Its definitely vestigial at the moment.

> >   1) New releases - not so interesting at the VCS level unless we are
> > tracking upstream's VCS in the packaging (gwibber for example) at
> > which time it's *very* interesting to the developer. Of course being
> > able to do package upgrades based off of upstream imports is great for
> > any package.
>
> Do you care about currency? Many packages in Ubuntu seem to be many
> version away from the latest release

Yes we do (wearing my Ubuntu developer / Debian developer hats).

> The instructions in the UI to link a distro package to a upstream states
> that trunk is probably *not* the correct series. I think in many cases
> it is the *correct* series for most of the distro series' development.

Yes, the note about trunk is based on some unverified assumptions about
how things will be modeled in lp.

-Rob