Merging with Bazaar

Jordan Mantha laserjock at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 8 11:34:50 GMT 2009

CC'ing new list as well for longer discussion if needed.

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 2:34 PM, James Westby <jw+debian at jameswestby.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks to a whole bunch of work from quite a few people coming together
> now is a great time to do merging in bzr. In particular as MoM is down,
> this will allow you to merge without lots of faff. Unfortunately not
> every package is imported yet, but with >14,000 imported there should
> be plenty to work on.
>
> You can read documentation on how to do it at
>
>  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistributedDevelopment/Documentation
>
> specifically at
>
>  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistributedDevelopment/Documentation/Merging
>
> but the short of it is: get
>
>  lp:ubuntu/<package>
>
> and run
>
>  bzr merge-package lp:debian/<series>/<package>
>
> where <series> could be lenny, squeeze, sid, experimental as appropriate.

OK, this stuff is pretty cool, but I'm finding some of the
nuts-and-bolts documentation for the average Ubuntu dev a bit lacking.
Maybe I'm just a bit dense but I couldn't find anywhere in the
DistributedDevelopment pages anything about the orig.tar.gz. If we're
using full tree bzr branches don't we still need either 1) the
.orig.tar.gz somwhere where bzr-builddeb can find it 2) use
pristine-tar and put that info somewhere?

Overall the parts that I'm missing aren't the "how to use bzr" bits,
which are fairly well documented in DistributedDevelopment, but rather
the "what do I interact with this stuff outside of bzr". Any advice,
help?

-Jordan