Bazaar focus for 2.1 and 2.2

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Dec 16 01:45:30 GMT 2009

I just had a good talk with James about what the Bazaar team could do
to help UDD move forward.  We are making progress on some particular
bugs but the analysis feels a bit inchoate.  So my theory is that we
will be more efficient if we pick a clearer focus to do first.

We talked about:

* vcs imports - very visible so could be good, but not a pressing problem now
* could just focus on looms: getting them in the next default format,
getting them in the core, making them really nice - question about
whether they should fit on top of recipes or how they should relate
* could work on current package import failures - mostly by fixing
bugs in bzr - james_w will investigate, could file some bugs, maybe
not a productive main focus (because don't have access to that machine
and not familiar with that code)
* could work on udd-related merge features - not so much one overall
story as getting some bugs
* nested trees for imports - git submodules and svn externals
* merging unrelated branches in recipes - may need to bring together
unmergeable pkg and vcs import branches
* rewriting branches - james probably working on this; might want help

james_w could nominate a few bugs for 2.1.

mbp - ask pitti again for feedback or to sponsor the SRU of
<https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad-code/+bug/494807>.

So I think overall:

for 2.1 (about four working weeks before rc1 and going to
safe-bugfix-only mode):
 * bugs coming from: merging unrelated branches in recipes, pkg and
vcs import failure bugs, other udd bugs (including specific merge
scenarios)
 * filling those bug queues

post 2.1:
 * either importing nested trees (more useful for bzr users generally
and for imports), or good loom support (builtin, well integrated, in
default format - more useful for udd and james's vote) - either would
be good, the choice may be arbitrary
 * with either of these, probably improving the format/upgrade experience

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>