Call for help with Ubuntu Server.

Daniel Mons daniel.mons at iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 13 22:19:37 BST 2007

I'm running OpenLDAP + Samba + NFS + GOsa at a number of sites now, all
on Ubuntu Feisty server side.

http://www.gosa-project.org/

These sites are all multi-OS at the client - Linux, Windows and Mac.
They're mostly graphics, visual effects and TV type production places
who all have suffered for years now with having three different networks
within a building just to cater for three different operating systems.
OpenLDAP+SAMBA+NFS+PAM-LDAP ties them all together nicely and ensures
that user accounts and permissions are created and controlled centrally.
GOsa is a brilliant tool that lets onsite helpdesk staff deal with the
day-to-day management of users and permissions.

Integrating MacOSX into the fray was actually the most time consuming
thing, as there are a lot of undocumented gotchas (eg: Mac users
passwords must be stored as plaintext [not MD5 as default] and pushed
through SASL2 for Macs to authenticate against).

Server side setup, including Mac frustrations, set me back about 20
hours for the first go. After that, replicating it for other customers
is about 2 hour's work tops. Client-side setup is less than 2 minutes
for any Linux, Windows or Mac box. Generally the customers I have are
quite shell focussed, so Windows takes a little longer to get up to
speed with home folders mapping to the right place so that Cygwin fires
up correctly and gives the same BASH environment as the Mac/Linux
counterparts. For run of the mill desktop/email/word-processing users,
that's not an issue.

When I get time I'll document the whole build process for server-side
and each OS client onto a public Wiki somewhere. Work has been
overwhelmingly busy at the moment, and sadly documentation has fallen by
the wayside once again.

I'm not a programmer, so I can't really help with building tools to
automate all of this terribly well. But I can document what I've done to
make my system work, including gotchas and traps that tend to hold
people back from getting a 100% working system across multiple client OSes.

-Dan