+1 maintenance report

Lucas Kanashiro lucas.kanashiro at canonical.com
Sat Aug 24 01:25:05 UTC 2024

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 23, 2024 at 9:25 PM Pushkar Kulkarni <
pushkar.kulkarni at canonical.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I was on +1 maintenance this week and here is my report.
>
> ruby-defaults 1:3.3~ubuntu3 transition
> =============================
> I spent most of the time on the autopkgtest failures reported against the
> transition. I did an initial triage of the failures and then decided to
> focus on two categories of failures:
>
> Category 1: Removal of the three-argument overload of Regexp::new
> (Regexp::compile is an alias)
> A total of 6 packages are affected by this. I have grouped these packages
> under bug 2077502 [1].
> Ruby 3.3 removed support for the "encoding" argument to method
> Regexp::new/::compile. This argument was deprecated by Ruby 3.2 and only
> values 'n' and 'N', corresponding to Regexp::NOENCODING were supported.
> Ruby 3.3 removes the argument and recommends accommodating it in
> the 'flags. See the release notes here [2] and the bug report [3].
>
> I have merge-proposals submitted for the affected packages. See [1] for
> details.
>
> Category 2: Changes in the minitest gem API
> A total of 20 packages seem to be affected by this. I have grouped them
> under bug 2077617 [4].
> Ruby 3.3 includes minitest 5.20.0. Version 5.19.0 of the minitest gem,
> stopped loading the MiniTest class by default and users are not expected to
> use "Minitest" (instead of MiniTest). However, use of environment variable
> MT_COMPAT falls back to the old behaviour and no code changes are needed.
> See [5].
>
> I have merge-proposals submitted for most of the affected packages. See
> [4] for details. Thanks to Athos for sponsoring!
> I liked this suggestion [6] from Athos,  in this context.

Thanks for all your help on this transition, appreciated! I replied to
Athos' comment on the bug, in summary, I'd not recommend changing the
default behavior of all ruby packages ( >1k) because maybe 50 (?) are not
supporting the new Minitest version. Moreover, those same 50 packages will
start to FTBFS as soon as we update Minitest and the upstream removes this
retro-compatibility flag. I was using another approach in Debian and also
in some packages that I added a delta, which is patching the code to
actually support the newer Minitest, to avoid any FTBFS in the near future.
But for a late in the cycle transition, any solution is valid :)

Thanks for all the patches Pushkar, I will continue sponsoring them from
where Athos stopped.

Lucas Kanashiro.