Retention period for autopkgtest test logs

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 25 18:55:12 UTC 2023

On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 11:17:50AM -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 10:23:36AM -0700, Brian Murray wrote:
> > Currently test results and log files for autopkgtest runs are kept until
> > the release for which the test was run reaches its End of Life. This is
> > also true for autopkgtest runs for packages in PPAs and the Ubuntu QA
> > team thinks we should not be keeping these for such a long period of
> > time.

> > We plan to automatically remove test results for PPAs which ran more
> > than 8 weeks ago. Does 8 weeks seem like too short of a period to
> > anybody?

> It does feel a bit short; prior results can sometimes be interesting for
> comparison purposes,

Why would your baseline be a ppa build >8 weeks old, as opposed to a run in
the Ubuntu archive?  8 weeks is a long time to be iterating in a PPA without
uploading it to the devel series.

I have no opinion about whether longer than 8 weeks is ok for autopkgtest
result retention.  But it seems alarming to me that we would have
out-of-archive development branches lasting 2 months.

The support for running autopkgtests for ppas exists to facilitate Ubuntu
development, for things not yet landed in the main archive.  It certainly
shouldn't be used for long-lived PPAs whose contents are not targeted for
inclusion in Ubuntu.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/