Migrating to deb822 sources on upgrade to Mantic

Julian Andres Klode julian.klode at canonical.com
Tue Sep 19 20:04:43 UTC 2023

On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 12:58:03PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 03:25:47PM -0400, Nick Rosbrook wrote:
> > > As a part of the effort to use deb822 sources by default in Ubuntu[1],
> > > on upgrades to Mantic, ubuntu-release-upgrader will migrate
> > > /etc/apt/sources.list to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu.sources, and
> > > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/foo.list to
> > > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/foo.sources. This change has been implemented
> > > and is now in mantic.
>
> > The release goal to have deb822 by default in Mantic has been pushed
> > back, hence ubuntu-release-upgrader will no longer migrate users to
> > deb822.
>
> > The deb822 sources are still usable, and apt will have no problem with
> > them. The most notable blocker right now is that the
> > software-properties UI cannot handle the deb822 format yet[1]. If you
> > have already upgraded to Mantic, and would like to revert to the
> > classic sources.list, you should be able to do so with:
>
> > $ cp /etc/apt/sources.list{.distUpgrade,}
> > $ rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu.sources
>
> Is this entry in the mantic release notes still accurate?
>
> * add-apt-repository now adds PPAs as deb822 .sources files (Improvements to
>   PPA management in 23.10)

Yes! PPAs and third party sources work fine as deb822 .sources files, it
is only official Ubuntu sources that we do not have full integration for
yet (the aptsources.distro module doesn't recognize them as such and hence
software-properties doesn't, and they'd be listed as additional
sources).

I still plan to land the deb822 support for ubuntu sources in an SRU,
as they are quite isolated, but the code so far doesn't generate the
cleanest ubuntu.sources and sometimes messes up, so we deferred making
the switch to 24.04.
ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en