dropping various grub targets

Julian Andres Klode julian.klode at canonical.com
Thu Oct 5 16:39:53 UTC 2023

Hi

some of us would like to drop the following grub targets
as we believe nobody uses them:

* grub-coreboot
* grub-efi-ia32
* grub-firmware-qemu
* grub-uboot
* grub-xen

Optimally also:
* grub-efi-arm

As in we would like the targets remaining to be:

* grub-efi-amd64
* grub-efi-arm64
* grub-ieee1275     [dropping amd64 one, though; just keep ppc64el]
* grub-pc

Please let me know if that makes sense, if I missed anything
(is anyone still using Xen?).

It is most likely that we will just be passing them as exclude
options to dh_builddeb, but still continue building them as
debian/rules is complicated and maintaining a delta to actually
stop building the code is likely more annoying.

Anyhow that's all.

We really should revisit the question of BIOS support for 26.04
or 28.04. Our grub postinst isn't updating BIOS grub for anyone
anymore since boothole because stuff can break for BIOS systems
if you upgrade them so um yeah. BIOS is a risky platform.

ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en