git-ubuntu build

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 15 01:26:04 UTC 2023

On Sat, Jun 10, 2023 at 07:41:13AM -0600, Neal McBurnett wrote:
> So how does a guy who's forgotten most of what he ever learned about
> launchpad, bzr and Ubuntu source management catch up?

Sorry. The problems you faced are valid. But git-ubuntu is so wide in
scope, I've been focused on getting the fundamentals together, and
haven't implemented the "first time contributor" type use cases yet.

So far I've stabilised the importer, implemented workflows for routine
developer tasks (see the Ubuntu Maintainer's Handbook[1] that was
linked), implemented the capability for git commits to be preserved
through the conversion to "tarball-style" source packages that Ubuntu
requires as its single source of truth, and expanded repository coverage
to the entire archive (barring a few edge case failures that appeared
that I need to get back to).

I think the next key bits missing are "git ubuntu build" which I'm
focusing on next, and updating the Ubuntu Packaging Guide for
git-ubuntu, which is currently not scheduled. There's also a skeleton of
git-ubuntu documentation up[2] but that is still quite sparse, and most
of Ubuntu development workflows that use git-ubuntu should probably end
up being documented in the packaging guide instead, leaving the
git-ubuntu documentation itself for the innards of it.

There's also "staging branches" that I'm working on[3].

So, lots going on, but sorry the passer-by use case isn't implemented
yet. Currently git-ubuntu is a less-than-one person project - currently
it's a fraction of my time only.

[1] https://github.com/canonical/ubuntu-maintainers-handbook
[2] https://canonical-git-ubuntu.readthedocs-hosted.com/en/latest/index.html
[3] https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/spec-git-ubuntu-staged-uploads/35409