SRU shift report: 2023-05-24

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 14 20:43:13 UTC 2023

On Mon, Jun 05, 2023 at 02:27:12PM -0300, Mauricio Oliveira wrote:
> A related topic/question.
>
> I recently wondered/asked whether uploading to stable releases
> while the development release is marked Fix _Committed_ was OK.

We don't have a good, general definition of what Fix Committed actually
means in Ubuntu[1]. Maybe this will change with the upcoming git-ubuntu
staging branches. But for now, let's look past the status itself and
consider the underlying meaning of the SRU expectation.

The relevant issue is that if a user starts using one release, then
upgrades to a subsequent release, then they should not hit a regression
because we fixed a bug in the earlier release but not a later one[2].

The easiest way to do this is to fix all subsequent releases first. This
would mean that the development release and all subsequent stable
releases are marked Fix Released. I also like to see *how* that is the
case so I can have some confidence that the status is correct. Usually
there's a bug comment that explains it, eg. "fixed upstream in 4.3" and
I can see that subsequent Ubuntu releases have 4.3 or higher. Or perhaps
there will be an automatic comment when a fix was uploaded.

If something different is required, then I'd just like to see an
explanation as to why, with respect to the regression issue above that
we're trying to avoid. The SRU team will then make a decision.

Robie

[1] There is https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Status but I don't think it's
complete (for Fix Committed in Ubuntu) or that everyone sticks to it.
[2] Also see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates#Newer_Releases