Replacing the telegram-desktop deb by a snap installer in stable series?

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 24 10:18:52 UTC 2023

On Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 10:40:09AM +0100, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le 23/02/2023 à 14:59, Robie Basak a écrit :
> >Nobody else seems to have an opinion on this? It's feature freeze today,
> >so as there doesn't seem to be anyone maintaining this delta, I propose
> >to remove the deb and I'll file a bug accordingly. Users who upgrade to
> >Lunar will be able to switch to the (non-Ubuntu-published) snap
> >manually.
>
> In that scenario is anything going to take care to remove the deb from the
> system of users upgrading or warning them that they are left on an old and
> buggy version which isn't going to get updates?

I don't know. Sorry I don't have time to go into this right now. But the
current situation seems worse, given that an automatic transition to an
"external" snap, without prompting, goes against the principle that the
TB already has consensus on.

But, consider that this scenario won't be any different from any other
package disappearing in a new release due to being unmaintained. Doesn't
ubuntu-release-upgrader already do something sensible in this case?

If someone would like to try and make the experience better than that,
then please do! A debconf prompt with an explicit opt-in transition to
the external snap was my other suggestion, for example, but that would
require someone to prepare and test that upload.

This is the removal bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/telegram-desktop/+bug/2008258

Robie