Possibility of accepting a network-based installer of Ubuntu as an official flavor?

Lukasz Zemczak lukasz.zemczak at canonical.com
Fri Feb 24 08:55:05 UTC 2023

Hey Aaron!

Actually, this is the one thing that sucks when we don't publish our
team's roadmaps to the public (which I'm trying our team to start
doing, but it's so busy recently that we didn't manage to yet): there
is work ongoing on something like this - and actually this cycle!

The MPs for that are still in flight, but Dan Bungert, the maintainer
of subiquity, is working on a project called ubuntu-mini-iso. We
already had a prototype done and tested, but now we're trying to land
all of that to be built by the official infrastructure. The idea is a
bit similar to what you described, but with a small difference on how
the system-to-install is being downloaded for installation.

The ubuntu-mini-iso is a small bootable iso that can be either
downloaded and used on a CD/USB-drive or even via UEFI HTTP that
brings up a dynamic TUI menu of what Ubuntu images you want to
download/install to your target system. It uses simplestreams to
select which images, so it'll be quite customizable regarding the
selection. The difference is that it then downloads the
iso-of-interest into memory and chain-boots into it, allowing the
installation of any image as one would normally do. This has some
limitations of course, since it needs sufficiently enough RAM.

I'm pretty sure Dan can give more details about this when he's up and
running. We expect this to be part of lunar in the next weeks.

Cheers,