+1 maintenance report (14/Aug - 18/Aug)

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 22 03:44:27 UTC 2023

On Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 02:28:50PM -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > The armhf lxd containers do not have hard partitioning of memory
> > allocations, so *generally* tests on armhf will have more memory available
> > than on other architectures.  But that memory is also shared across tests,
> > so "noisy neighbor" effect is more of a problem.

> Is there a technique for identifying when this may be the case, when
> we're troubleshooting armhf-specific issues?

If it looks like an OOM error only on armhf, retry it and see if it's
reproducible.

> You know, it would be super useful if we had a handbook of architectures
> for our autopkgtest infrastructure, that explains both the fundamental
> differences between the architectures (e.g. cpu-specific uniquenesses)
> and the implementational characteristics of how it's set up in Canonical
> infrastructure (e.g. the memory configuration strategy with the armhf
> lxd containers).  Does a doc like this already exist?

https://wiki.debian.org/ArchitectureSpecificsMemo is a good overview of
architecture differences, which also applies to Ubuntu.  It might be a good
starting point for someone to create a doc that distills this for just the
Ubuntu architectures.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/