Removing the old ubuntu theme from plymouth

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 18 15:29:56 UTC 2022

Hey there,

A refresh of the Ubuntu logo is landing in Jammy, we updated the default
plymouth theme (spinner, the one which displays the bios/vendor icon in
the middle of the screen with an ubuntu watermark at the bottom) but it
triggers the question of what to do with the old 'ubuntu-logo' theme
which we were using until focal.

Since the artwork is outdated and the theme unmaintained  the Desktop
Team is proposing to remove ubuntu-logo now. The theme is still
recommended by the unity and kylin desktop packages, we suggest
replacing it by spinner as it has been done for ubuntu desktop.

Is anyone knowing of a reason why we shouldn't do that change? If so
please reply to that email, otherwise we will go ahead and file a FFe to
remove the theme before the LTS.

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher