+1 rotation report

Simon Chopin simon.chopin at canonical.com
Mon Feb 21 09:24:41 UTC 2022

I was on +1 rotation last week, however I've not been able to spend as much
time on it as I'd have liked. Most of my time was in short bursts, so I focused
on smaller tasks, mostly related to the NBS report.

https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/nbs.html

# Follow-up required

Here are some items that aren't finished and might need attention from a later
rotation.

## opa-ff

This package currently FTBFS which causes it to still depend on libssl1.1 in
jammy. The cause of the FTBFS comes from a difference in kernel packaging. I'd
hope to fix it in our kernel packages (LP: #1960841), but we might
want to upload
a workaround.

## grpc

I tried to help the grpc package move out of -proposed to finish the libabsl
transition. To that effect, I filed LP: #1960803 to remove one of its rdeps,
ruby-gitlab-labkit, that is out of date and hasn't kept up with the rest of the
Ruby ecosystem. Still remains a sysdig regression on arm64, which
seems to be related
to some issue with kernel headers?

## ntpsec

FTBFS against OpenSSL 3.0. I reached out to upstream along with the Debian
maintainer. There appears to have been some developments on this during the
week-end, with a patch uploaded to Debian and synced. It'd be nice to follow up
to make sure it goes through to the release pocket. (LP: #1960905)

## softhms2

I started investigating the FTBFS for softhms2 against OpenSSL 3.0, tracked
at LP: #1961189. There were some patches available in a PR upstream, but they
turned out not to be sufficient to fix the build.

Given the lack of upstream response on the OpenSSL 3.0 matter and the extensive
use of OpenSSL in its code, I think we should look into removing the package,
but I haven't done any rdep investigation so far.

# Other items

## glirc

This package required OpenSSL 3.0 support in its dependency haskell-hsopenssl.
I'd already worked on it before but hadn't noticed that uploaded the patched
version would trigger a mini-transition within the haskell ecosystem. I've
completed this transition this week.

## libffms2-5 transition

Small transition inherited from Debian, it was just a matter of
rebuilding sirl and x264

## libhydre transition

Likewise, just needed rebuilds of sundials and petsc

## openpace

FTBFS against OpenSSL 3.0, I uploaded a patch cherry-picked from upstream,
tracked at LP: #1960913.

## racket

The package add an explicit Recommends: libssl1.1, I just changed it to
libssl3.0 and all went well.

--
Simon Chopin
Foundations Team                               	             Ubuntu MOTU